Employees at Friends are expected to model and foster the habits of mind we believe are essential to an outstanding education: creativity, curiosity, empathy, reflection, and resilience. We seek those whose experiences demonstrate:
- A desire to understand diverse attitudes, beliefs, behaviors, and practices and to incorporate a culturally responsive lens into their work.
- A record of successful collaboration with colleagues, families, and students.
- A commitment to lifelong learning, and ongoing professional development.
- Flexibility, optimism, and a sense of humor.
Context and Philosophy
Friends School of Baltimore has an opening for a Marketing and Communications Manager to support our work with prospective and current families and to raise the profile of Friends School locally and regionally as a top choice for those considering an independent school. The person in this position will assist in developing the School's communication and marketing strategy to promote a strong brand identity, and accurate, consistent and compelling messages about the School. In addition, the Marketing and Communications Manager will be the primary creator of content for print and electronic publications, will oversee and develop social media postings, and will serve as the manager of website content. This position reports to the Assistant Head of School for Enrollment Management.
The primary responsibilities of the Marketing and Communications Manager include:
- Produce daily social media content, manage all social media platforms, write copy for all of the school's print and electronic publications, and serve as the manager of and the chief contributor to the school's website.
- Serve as the school's primary writer, editor, and content manager for all print and electronic communications, including the annual magazine, website, news stories, ads in a variety of mediums, speeches, and collateral including whitepapers, brochures, flyers etc.
- Contribute to and manage the school's multiple social media channels as part of a coordinated messaging plan, develop metrics and analyze the effectiveness of social media efforts using these metrics.
- Manage a comprehensive school communications strategy to inform and engage parents and other School constituents.
- Serve as a project manager for marketing/communications-related routine and ad hoc projects.
- Develop and execute a media relations strategy to maximize positive coverage in a variety of news outlets.
- Actively contribute to and manage production and design of all School materials to ensure that they consistently support the school's brand and the communications and marketing strategy.
- Assist with audience development strategies for key school events.
- Provide support and guidance to various divisions and departments in the creation and production of marketing and communications materials.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Head for Enrollment Management, manage a variety of contracts with vendors to ensure projects are completed in a timely, successful manner and within budgetary limitations.
- Monitor the effectiveness of marketing and communication efforts and make recommendations to the Enrollment Management team on changes in strategies, tactics and budget.
- All other duties as assigned.
Candidates should demonstrate a willingness to understand and incorporate the values of Quaker education into their work. A competitive salary and generous benefits are offered.
- Candidates should have a minimum of 3-to-5 years of experience in the field of marketing and communications including broad experience with the entire range of communications and marketing techniques and industry best practices. Experience working in a nonprofit or education setting is preferred but not required. Candidate must possess excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills and have experience and expertise with website and social media design and management. The ability to lead and execute, showing outstanding judgment with a high level of energy, creativity and flexibility is essential. Bachelor's degree required. Masters degree desirable.
Candidates are encouraged to visit www.friendsbalt.org to learn more about Friends School of Baltimore.
Friends School of Baltimore actively promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion in all programs and operations, including admissions, financial aid, and hiring. To form a community which strives to reflect the world's diversity, we do not discriminate on the basis of race or color, religion, nationality, ethnicity, economic background, physical ability, sex, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation. Friends School of Baltimore is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of color and members of other underrepresented groups who might enrich and diversify the school community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and portfolio of work that would support the job duties described above. A search committee will review candidate information and will contact those candidates they are interested in having a conversation with about the position.