University of Illinois System Illinois Ventures Visiting Marketing & Communications Coordinator SEARCH EXTENDED Chicago or Urbana-Champaign
The system office seeks a Visiting Marketing & Communications Coordinator to, work closely with the IllinoisVENTURES team and the venture capital community to promote, market and raise awareness of IllinoisVENTURES, the Illinois Emerging Technologies Funds and the University commercialization mission. The individual will be responsible for implementation of initiatives that advance the IllinoisVENTURES and its services to the University and the broader community and to promote university startup innovations, portfolio companies and the organization to attract industry partners, investors and potential portfolio companies. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Responsible for creating and updating content both written and electronic, enhancing traffic, and expanding communication channels associated with IllinoisVENTURES mission. Areas of support include but are not limited to the Proof of Concept program, seed investing, portfolio companies, website, social media, communication pieces and email blasts. This includes both creating and sourcing content and working with partner organizations. The IllinoisVENTURES Website and newsletter will be the responsibility of the Visiting Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
2. Responsible for all logistical and promotional materials for IllinoisVENTURES related events and programs. Events include but are not limited to seminars and panel discussions on venture investing, innovation, technology, entrepreneurship, and intellectual property. The person in this position conceptualizes, plans and executes events independently. This role interacts and works directly with speakers, hosts, and other University departments and vendors to secure speaker participation, develop/ensure robust attendance, and obtain the necessary support and resources for the event. The Coordinator will also be responsible for the smooth overall functioning of events and programs IllinoisVENTURES is partnering with other groups to execute.
3. Represent IllinoisVENTURES at events throughout the Chicagoland and Midwest Region.
4. Responsible for designing and disseminating event information to the target audience and for communicating with the relevant offices and important internal and external stakeholders. This will require the Coordinator to actively maintain and ensure the accuracy of databases and mailing lists used for various internal and external marketing and communications activities.
5. Develop and lead the tracking of marketing, programs, and events efforts for internal use. This includes but not limited to demographic information, quantitative metrics, and qualitative feedback.
6. Provide support for portfolio-level marketing efforts as well as office-wide branding initiatives. The Director will also keep an ongoing log of all portfolio startups with up to date information on development.
7. Provide oversight and training to graduate or undergraduate students assisting with marketing and communications related activities.
8. Provide support for other marketing and communications projects, as identified by the team.
9. Other duties appropriate for a Visiting Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
Candidates must possess bachelor's degree in marketing, communications or a related field and a minimum of two to five years of professional level or previous experience developing marketing and communications materials, ideally for technology-oriented products and services. Other requirements include: available evenings and weekends, as needed, for events and generally available via email for occasional time-sensitive matters; must be comfortable working independently and executing projects from start to finish; must be exceptionally detail-oriented; ability to exercise mature judgment, discretion, and tact, referring questions and issues, as appropriate; well-organized and able to prioritize and meet deadlines; ability to work with a wide range of internal and external constituents, with different priorities and objectives, to achieve goals; excellent writing skills, with familiarity and/or comfort with technical/scientific language; strong verbal communication skills, able to instill confidence and trust among clients and stakeholders; proficiency with Microsoft Office suite applications, and Adobe Suite Applications.
Preferred qualifications include: previous experience/knowledge organizing events, seminars, and conferences; previous database management experience and web/digital/social/media savvy - previous experience with social media channels.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by November 30, 2018 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The System Office conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
System Human Resource Services
(217) 333-2600 [Call: (217) 333-2600]
The System Office is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Internal Number: 96033
About University of Illinois
The three University of Illinois universities in Urbana-Champaign, Chicago, and Springfield are supported in their primary missions of teaching, research, public service, and economic development by System Offices, and the University of Illinois Alumni Alliance (UIAA). The System Offices are a source of competitive advantage for the universities through the design, delivery, and coordination of administrative and related services that enable the universities to effectively fulfill their primary missions.