Department: UL - University Career Services
Communications Marketing Coordinator
George Mason University, University Career Services (UCS) invites applications for a Communications Marketing Coordinator. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
University Career Services has 27 staff members, including graduate interns, undergraduate peer career advisors and employers in residence. UCS offers a comprehensive array of programs and services including: career counseling and industry advising; professional job search preparation/readiness to transition into work/graduate school; internship, student employment and experiential education initiatives; opportunities to connect with alumni and employers; and employer development/recruiting. UCS works in close consultation and collaboration with nine academic schools and colleges to ensure a cohesive and complementary set of programs and services for students and employers. UCS cultivates and engages employers and alumni to better understand hiring needs and recruiting strategies; promote Mason and the recruitment of our student talent; and gain access to opportunities, resources and networks for students seeking experiential learning and employment.
University Career Services Vision and Mission:
Vision: To make big dreams an attainable reality.
Mission: Mason is committed to educating and preparing students for meaningful careers in a global society.
The Communications Marketing Coordinator will provide leadership and oversight for UCS' marketing, branding, social media and communications efforts. In collaboration with the Assistant Director for Trends, Assessment and Communications, this individual will serve as the point person for conceptualizing and creating all print/electronic materials for the purpose of raising awareness and usage of UCS programs, services, and resources among Mason students, faculty, employers and staff. The incumbent will oversee analytics, user experience and assessment methods for ensuring the use of the most effective marketing campaigns. This position will also supervise student marketing employees to create and implement a strategy for the use of social media, and find innovative methods to highlight UCS and student success stories. Additional responsibilities include:
Marketing and Branding:
- Review and edit existing promotional materials for marketing effectiveness and adherence to brand guidelines;
- Conceptualize, design, write, and create all print and electronic flyers, brochures, handouts, and marketing collateral;
- Collaborate with respective staff members to ensure understanding of event/program purpose;
- Update employer showpiece (content and visual elements) as necessary, and create general showpiece to be used with all constituents;
- Coordinate projects with university departments and vendors for the development and production of educational and promotional materials (e.g., videos, flat screen images, giveaway items, PowerPoint presentations and other collateral);
- Coordinate activities designed to push marketing messages to the campus community (e.g., themed kiosk reservations and setup, managing/coordinating student assistants in handing out marketing materials, etc.);
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director, Trends, Assessment and Communications to tell 'stories' and use 'infographics' to share current trends, senior survey data and other center successes; and
- Establish 'success' measures for marketing and communication activities, collect data on results, and present outcomes to leadership team.
- Manage all social media interaction for the office, including creating messages, uploading photos, and responding to messages;
- Upload all events into Get Connected and other campus-wide platforms, as appropriate; and
- Supervise UCS student employees, as applicable, who are focused on social media and/or graphic design; and train, mentor, and regularly meet with social media team to ensure cohesive execution of social media strategy and brand.
- Oversee Web site content strategies to promote brand awareness and consistent messaging for targeted audiences. Duties include: developing images and writing copy along with revising, editing and proofreading content designated for the Web site; and
- Coordinate/collaborate with UCS technology coordinator as well as related university departments on Web site production strategies.
- Conduct research and analysis of all marketing and user experience analytics related to office programs and services and propose changes/improvements based on data. Research may include collection of data through Web analytics, focus groups, student surveys of materials/initiatives, and Web-related human factors analysis/studies;
- Develop summaries and reports, as appropriate, for Assistant Director of Trends, Assessment, and Communications to determine best practices for marketing methods; and
- Assist Assistant Director of Trends, Assessment and Communications with development of reports and infographics promoting the outcomes of UCS activities.
- Develop and maintain standards and templates for print and electronic materials, including standards pertaining to appearance and use of logo, to ensure consistency with department, division and university standards;
- Provide writing and editing support for outbound communications, including promotional materials, Web site content, newsletters and departmental annual reports;
- Manage all aspects of communicating UCS services and programs by using e-mail announcements, e-newsletters, flyers, Web sites, and university calendars;
- Create content, mine information, highlight important dates/programs, track analytics; and
- Develop collaborative relationships with division and university level communications staff to promote the work of UCS for the university Web site, University Life publications and external media; and create news articles and press releases about UCS achievements and initiatives, as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, public relations, business, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated experience in marketing and communications, or a related field;
- Strong computer skills and experience with desktop publishing programs (such as Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Photoshop and Illustrator, and/or other design programs);
- Social media expertise (e.g., Facebook, Twitter), preferably in a professional setting;
- Strong organizational and project management skills and a keen attention to detail;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to work effectively work under tight deadlines, and identify and manage project priorities independently; and
- Evidence of excellent verbal, presentation, and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of 508 Accessibility Standards for electronic marketing materials is a plus;
- Familiarity with collecting and using data analytics and other forms of marketing research; and
- An understanding of Mason's identity and mission, student affairs practices, the UCS vision and mission, and an ability to articulate it clearly.
Salary: Anticipated starting salary: $42,000
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02487z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, a list of three professional references with contact information, and a sample (no more than two) of previous visual marketing materials you have produced (flyer, poster, logo, brochure, etc.).
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.