Position Overview: This full-time exempt position in FAS Development Marketing reports to the Marketing Director and is responsible for developing audience-specific fundraising and engagement marketing campaigns through digital channels, primarily email, web and social media.
This includes creating and disseminating compelling messaging, defining effective segmentation strategies, and aligning marketing plans with the goals of AA&D and Harvard. This position requires a strong command of marketing principles, a high level of organization, professionalism, and a mastery of digital channels.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions*): 1. As a manager within FAS Development, participates in decision making and is responsible for carrying out policies and strategies. Demonstrates confidence and judgment in representing FAS Development on digital channels.
2. Manages marketing schedules and day-to-day implementation of broadcast engagement and activation through digital channels, including web, email, mobile and social media, including creating and sending email campaigns, posting/responding on social channels, and testing on all platforms.
3. Partners with the Director to ensure appropriate engagement plans are in place and monitors ongoing activity. Partnering with colleagues throughout Marketing and Communications, ensures that each channel works in coordination with one another for increased effectiveness.
4. Monitors and evaluates analytics related to audience-specific marketing strategies, integrating marketing channels with fundraising efforts, to assesses trends and develop corresponding plans for optimal results. Develops analysis summaries by marketing campaign to inform teams of effectiveness and opportunities for improvement.
5. Serves as team expert on social media, mobile and email best practices, with strong hands-on experience working with email marketing platforms (Salesforce Marketing Cloud, a plus), HTML and CSS, Facebook pages, YouTube, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram. Experience with multimedia and graphic content creation, editorial planning, and writing/editing.
6. Cultivates favorable relationships with colleagues across departments, including, but not limited to, FAS Development, Operations, HPAC, the HAA, and Alumni and Donor Services and external partners and vendors.
7. In concert with FAS needs, works periodically on special projects in collaboration with the Marketing Director, senior management, and FAS fundraising staff.
8. The above covers the most significant responsibilities of the position. It does not however, exclude other duties, the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the level of the position.
Skills testing may be a component of the interview process for this position.
The department of Alumni Affairs and Development at Harvard University is committed to diversity. We welcome applicants who bring varied experience, thought, and practice to the department's mission to maintain and enhance an engaged community of alumni and friends worldwide and to lead the University's fundraising efforts.
Harvard University Benefits Package Vacation/Sick/Personal/Holidays: Harvard offers 3 (union roles) - 4 (exempt) weeks paid vacation, a paid holiday break between Christmas and New Year's Day, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days each year. Medical/Dental/Vision Benefit: Harvard offers a variety of excellent medical, dental, and vision plans which all begin on the first day of employment. Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service. Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted study options through participating Harvard Graduate Schools. Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as parking options to assist employees in their daily commute to campus. Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complimentary health services. There are also fee-based athletic facility memberships available at various locations around the university for employees.
Salary Grade: 057
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
BA/BS degree or equivalent; 4+ years of experience in digital marketing, including content creation/curation, social media management and online community building.
Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to establish and promote good working relationships with peers, alumni volunteers and donors. Must be flexible and possess the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks under deadline pressure. Must be able to work independently and take initiative.
Must be professional, proactive, collaborative, conscientious, and results-oriented. Must have an optimistic and positive demeanor, good intuition and be able to adapt to changing priorities. Must have definite abilities to innovate, think strategically and conceptually, and display good, sound judgment with a sense of humor. Must be able to influence and persuade others
Must be motivated to learn and be open to change.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Strong computer skills, including email marketing platforms, social media channels and data analysis.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Harvard University Alumni Affairs and Development
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty are engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. For students who are excited to investigate the biggest issues of the 21st century, Harvard offers an unparalleled student experience and a gen...erous financial aid program, with over $160 million awarded to more than 60% of our undergraduate students. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world.