- Develop and execute full-scale, data-driven digital marketing campaigns through email and social media channels that drive online engagement, event attendance, and program participation.
- Responsible for writing and stewarding written digital marketing communications that drive high levels of engagement with HAA events, programs, and calls-to-action.
- Manage and execute communications for all marquee HAA events and programs and select Harvard-driven initiatives, including, but not limited to the Your Harvard Campaign event series, Global Networking Night, Board of Overseers and Elected Directors Elections, Grad Appeal, enhancements to the a.h.edu online alumni community, alumni re-authentication, and more.
- Lead the editorial process for all outbound communications developed by department, managing multiple stakeholders, approvals, and message testing process.
- Primary point of contact for the stewardship of all broadcast email communications associated with marquee HAA events and programs.
- Direct production and strategy for HAA eVENTS, the HAA's only monthly news and events communication distributed to 250k+ recipients monthly, including developing targeted segmentation strategy and overseeing template redesigns.
- Identify and develop new opportunities to integrate social media and broadcast email marketing campaigns and new approaches and partners for social engagement. o Provide guidance on development of social influencer strategy and peer-to-peer digital communications. o Contribute to social networks
- Manage project planning process for all marketing campaigns developed by the department, convening HAA-wide teams and University-wide project partners. o Convene and direct HAA-wide project teams and develop project charters; o Collaborate with Harvard College and University-wide partners; o Liaise with appropriate partners to ensure project development and completion
- Oversee Harvard Alumni World MasterCard marketing program, developing messaging, strategy, and approving all creative materials. o Liaise with Harvard University Employees Credit Union; o Collaborate on program marketing initiatives; o Manage consulting resources; o Manage University-partnerships in association with the program
- Primary product owner of the HAA Engagement Bulletin and execute internal communications strategy that positions HAA work for AA&D and School colleagues across the University.
- Manage content strategy for department owned sections of alumni.harvard.edu. Participate in updates and redesign of HAA sections of alumni.harvard.edu in partnership with departments across the AA&D.
- Collaborate on monthly HAA digital analytics reporting for web, social, and email, exploring new ways to incorporate data into marketing strategy.
- Directly manage the work of the Digital Engagement Coordinator and oversees aspects of the Digital Communities Coordinator's work. Hire and oversee temps and student workers.
- With the Director of Engagement Marketing, assist with the management of collaborations between AA&D Communications' teams and the HAA, liaising with communications colleagues to ensure on-time delivery of final communications projects to the satisfaction of all stakeholders.
Continued in Additional Information
The Harvard Alumni Association (HAA) is seeking an Associate Director, Engagement Marketing with a background in marketing and communications who will spearhead the creation, management, and execution of successful digital marketing and communications with the goal of increasing global awareness of Harvard alumni programs and building alumni engagement.
Reporting to the Director of Engagement Marketing, this position plays an important strategic role for the HAA, spearheading the development and implementation of data-driven communications and marketing programs that drive attendance, excitement, participation, and online engagement.
This position develops and executes marketing and communications plans for marquee HAA programs, most of which touch large cohorts of the alumni community (100K-250K+ alumni) including directing the editorial review process, convening and leading project teams, managing the expectations of executive level stakeholders, authoring email and social content, and leading direction for the HAA's largest email communication. This position is also responsible for leveraging the breadth of resources across the AA&D in the areas of technology services especially the Email Strategist and the Systems Analytics Lead.
The idea candidate will be highly organized and have a tenacious work ethic, with a learning mindset, and possess a high level of expertise communicating organizational priorities to 250K+ community, sound judgment, excellent communication and writing skills, extensive experience using digital platforms to drive engagement, familiarity with social networks, and a proven ability to effectively collaborate with strategists, departments, leadership, and volunteers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Consult across HAA on marketing and communications best practices o Identify emerging industry trends to suggest for potential implementation; o Stay up to date on current Ivy+ and marketing/communications best practices; o As needed, consult with Harvard Club & Shared Interest Groups on best practices in marketing and communications
- With the Director of Engagement Marketing, manage complex inquiries from alumni contacting the Alumni Help Desk, which fields requests and inquiries from alumni, taking escalated calls and emails.
- As needed, engage with the work of the HAA board under the direction of the Director of Volunteer Leadership.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills testing may be a component of the interview process for this position.
The department of Alumni Affairs and Development at Harvard University is committed to diversity. We welcome applicants who bring varied experience, thought, and practice to the department's mission to maintain and enhance an engaged community of alumni and friends worldwide and to lead the University's fundraising efforts.
Harvard University Benefits Vacation/Sick/Personal/Holidays: 3 (union roles) - 4 (exempt) weeks paid vacation, a paid holiday break between Christmas and New Year's Day, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days each year. Medical/Dental/Vision Benefit: A variety of excellent medical, dental, and vision plans which all begin on the first day of employment. Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service. Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted study options through participating Harvard Graduate Schools. Transportation: 50% discounted MBTA pass; parking options to assist employees in their commute to campus. Wellness Options: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, and meditation. There are fee-based athletic facility memberships available at various locations around the university.
Salary Grade: 058
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
o BA/BS required; o Minimum 6 years' experience in marketing and communications or related transferable experience;
o Excellent project management skills with a proven ability to manage large-scale marketing-related projects and teams in large and complex organizations; o Demonstrated success writing and managing digital marketing campaigns; o Must be a creative thinker, action-oriented, and able to adapt in a dynamic environment; o Excellent public speaking and presentation skills; o Must be detail-oriented with strong organizational skills; o Proven experience with email, web, and social data analysis, an understanding of the role of data and metrics in marketing campaigns, demonstrated ability using metrics to drive strategy; o Experience with marketing automation or email platforms highly desirable; o Experience working with executive or c-suite level leadership preferred; o Must have excellent judgment and be able to make strategic decisions without direct oversight; o Experience handling challenging deadlines and projects with a sense of humor; o Demonstrated interest in learning and growing and developing new skills as a marketer; o Capacity to adapt to a variety of working and leadership styles o Must be able to understand, address, and balance the concerns and priorities of many stakeholders and collaborators; o Capacity to develop comprehensive strategy and map strategy to messaging; o Must have strong editorial, writing, interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as the ability to work both collaboratively and independently; o Proven ability to motivate, engage and work with board members, volunteers, university officials, faculty, and staff or similar constituencies; o Demonstrated understanding of social media marketing and engagement techniques; o Excellent supervisory and staff development skills; o Must exhibit diplomacy and sensitivity in working with University colleagues; o Volunteer management experience beneficial
Technical Tools and Applications o Experience/familiarity with Salesforce Marketing Cloud's broadcast email tool preferred; o Experience/familiarity with Creative Suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, etc.), and HTML; o Experience with CRM platforms and supporting business applications
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Harvard University Alumni Affairs and Development
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty are engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. For students who are excited to investigate the biggest issues of the 21st century, Harvard offers an unparalleled student experience and a gen...erous financial aid program, with over $160 million awarded to more than 60% of our undergraduate students. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world.